Monday, June 2, 2008

Lots to do and nothing getting done

Well, we've officially been here for 10 days. It's actually gone pretty fast. There isn't much new to report. Last week was good. I started on Wednesday and pretty much sat on my hands. Thursday and Friday they had me spend most of my days in the plant observing. It was interesting but honestly, how long can you watch someone slice turkey? I spent one day on the raw side and one day on the ready to eat side. After my first day on the raw side, I was pretty sure I would never eat turkey again. Have you ever actually seen what goes into a turkey dog? To be completely honest, it wasn't near as bad as I expected. The plant is exceptionally clean, and most of it is automated. However, I have to say, the smell of caps being made was much more appealing. Oh yes, and did I mention how flippin cold it is in that plant? Freezer jacket? Sure wish someone would have told me about such a thing the first day out there!! The ready to eat side on the second day was much more appealing. Watching them slice the turkey lunchmeat was rather fun. Although, around lunch time, it was all I could do not to grab a few slices off the line. Can you imagine the scene if I had pulled that one? I'd be back in Cali before you know it.
Back at the office I've been learning lots too. They have been showing me lots of potential projects for me. Mostly I'm just doing data collection right now, and learning how everything is done. Nick would be proud, looks like I'm still gonna have to do landed cost.
Things at home have been going okay too. Starting to get settled. Tracy has been working hard to unpack and clean up the yard. Actually, it's starting to come along. I feel a little bad about my original reactions. The house definately has issues, and it wouldn't be some place I'd want to be longterm, but it is a cute house and it's got lots of potential.
So far everyone has been adjusting to the small town life pretty well too. I can run to the grocery store and back in 5 minutes flat. And work, if I leave at 7:30, I'm there by 7:35. Guess I might get to sleep in a little.
Friday night I wanted to do something special for BMO. I took him downtown to the theater, we were going to see Speed Racer. Yes, the huge 3 screen complex. Unfortunately, the no longer had Speed Racer. BMOwas disappointed, but given the choice of just going home or seeing Narnia 2, he voted to stay. So we got some popcorn, pop (we're in the midwest now, no soda here) and loaded up on candy and headed in. The movie was good, but it was a bit over BMO's head. I felt bad for the people that sat right in front of us, BMO was asking questions and talking through the whole thing. Oh wait, I don't feel sorry for them, the place was practically empty and they still had to sit, directly in front of us.
Saturday I got a lesson on the weather here again. I was out mowing the yard and the empty lot when a small afternoon thunderstorm came up on me. I tried to get as much done as possible before it started raining but forgot how quickly they can come. Not to worry, there was no lightning, I'm not that crazy. Saturday night we found out just how close to the fair grounds we live. Every Saturday night during the summer they have stock car races. Saturday nights could be interesting at our house from now on. It was pretty loud. GIO did not want to go to sleep because of the noise. Tracy took BMO and the neighbor boy to the races. He came home with some pretty exciting stories of car wrecks.
Don't know much else. BMO is going to bible school this week, he seemed to have fun today. Tracy is on the prowl for a job. He must be doing okay, he already has 2 interviews set for tomorrow and another one on Wednesday. We are still having trouble finding daycare, but we have a temperary fix. One of the girls at work has a teenage daughter who babysits and doesn't have a summer job. She will be helping out until we find daycare.
Hope all is well with everyone. I miss talking my friends, and especially miss my lunch buddies!!!

1 comment:

Leah said...

Dude! Aren't you originally from the Midwest? Shouldn't you know some of these things? Remember when you mocked me because I got all excited about farmers waving to me? I'm pretty sure I can find your comment somewhere. You're feeling pretty silly about that right about now, aren't you?

In other news, I'm excited to see the new entry. I had feared that you'd given up already.

Only 9 or 10 days until my departure. If I come to Turkey Town will you mention me on the blog? Nah ... I'm not that desperate.